Monday, October 12, 2009

Uzhgorod – the first memory



One of the first assignments when I started the etching class back in 2003 was to recreate your first memory as an artist. I remember when my mom took me to the city, it was a gloomy and gray day, with people looking heavy and tired, and the streets were dump from recent rain. And of course from a child perspective everything looked enormous in size. I remember the women wore the same wooden heels platforms, that rose them up by 5 inches high, and men were smoking pipes and watching women passing by.

The perspective on things changed of course dramatically, Uzhgorod – my native city in Ukraine has completely changed and metamorphosed into a classic European undiscovered jewels. It got western influences such as modern advertisement, fashion boutiques and asian cousins on the sidewalkes, but one things still remains the same, how come 2 story buildings made such an enormous effect on the kid.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment