Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Majestic One



In April and May 2007, I took a month off from my commercial projects and flew back to the Big Island, this time I was on my own, other people and friends that went with me got married, were busy or preoccupied with their life's. I got a bit of tired of monotonous work I was doing and decided to do art for a month or so. This time I found a room in the house of the West side of the Hawaii island in Kona. It was a beautiful place on the volcano with a porch overlooking the ocean. We became good friends with a family and shared a lot of good stories and laughs together. Sparky, my new Hawaiian friend even thought me how to surf and his girlfriend Curly would give us free Starbucks coffee every day!

I would draw, take pictures and make series of cool journals on the island. This was my second trip here, I was already familiar with the landscapes and this time I planned to go a bit deeper into what I already saw on my first trip. I would go snorkeling on a daily basis and drive brand new Mazda 3, the Enterprise would lend me for a month. Of course I missed my friends and fun when you have real close buddies around you. By I've made new friends, sometimes I would give a ride to the hitchhiker and we would share stories. That's how I discovered a spot called Captain Coop and spinning dolphins. Other times I would hear stories about 100 year old tiger sharks and Humpback whales that come to mate and bread small calfs. And it's all very fascinating.

Each artist I think is on a mission to find himself/herself. For some it takes just a walk around the block and they find themselves, for me it takes to fly half of the planet. One beautiful morning I was visiting the Akaka waterfall, it's a spectacular site on the east side of the island, where rain forrest and volcanic mountains create waterfalls. It was around 8am when the sun would bath every plant in that area in its best colors and texture, lights and shadows would mingle and create something magnificent that i never noticed. It was the moment of clarity that gave me the signal to capture this beauty. "The Majestic One" is an oil painting on canvas 55 x 60' that captures this moment as I'd experienced. It concludes the second chapter and my second trip to the Big Island.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments:

Post a Comment