Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Sensational One



"The Sensational One" is the result of my third travel to the Big Island and is the conclusion of Chapter 3. It's the third painting that captures my own reflection of the beauty and colorfulness of the Pacific island. This time I stayed at the Manago Hotel, very reasonable place run by the Japanese family. I'd go snorkeling and swimming with wild dolphins (the video is also on this blog), almost daily. During the day I would draw and paint, take photographs and make my little videos. I would meet interesting people, musicians, divers, artists, teachers from Hawaii University and curious students. I was even considering taking a part-time teaching job here on the Big Island.

I made numerous sketches of surrounding area, based on them I painted "the Sensational One". It's an artwork of excitement of colors, grace of shapes and complex circular composition that let me forget the miserable state of my mind and as a whole of the economy in usa as a whole. A tropical bush is lightened by morning sun rays and all its leaves seem to strive towards the sun. Every leaf is beautiful on its own with multiple color tons and texture, they create complex universe. The palm trees in the back only suggest the space and scale of these sensational leaves.

The artwork is 60x52 inches, oil on canvas.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment: